CBR researchers are working to develop the next generation of safe, effective contraception and HIV and STI prevention options. Among our products in development are:
Next-generation contraceptive products for women
- A one-year contraceptive vaginal ring, which is under U.S. FDA review, would be the only woman-controlled product that provides a full year of contraception with just one annual visit with a healthcare provider.
- A three-month progesterone contraceptive vaginal ring (Progering®) is an effective contraceptive option for breastfeeding women. It is approved and being used in several Latin American countries and we are exploring licensure in Nigeria, Kenya, and Senegal.
- Our three-month Nestorone®/estradiol ring in Phase II clinical development to prevent unintended pregnancy is being designed for continuous use.
- Our new intrauterine system is in Phase II development and designed to prevent unintended pregnancy and provide less heavy periods.
New approaches to male contraception
The lack of long-acting reversible contraception options for men is one of the greatest obstacles to sexual and reproductive health worldwide. Products in development at CBR include:
- Nestorone®/Testosterone gel, a novel reversible contraceptive for men, which is designed to be absorbed through the skin with minimal side effects.
- Adjudin, a promising non-hormonal contraceptive that causes temporary, reversible male infertility. One or two doses can prevent conception for a month or more, and full fertility is restored after the drug is discontinued.
- MENT® acetate, a one-year implant that inhibits sperm cell development without impairing a man’s sexual drive. If approved, MENT, which is created from a synthetic steroid that resembles testosterone, would be the first long-acting reversible male contraceptive.
Multi-purpose prevention products
CBR researchers are also leading the development of a new generation of multi-purpose prevention products (MPTs) that protect against STIs including HIV:
- An ARV-Based Microbicide, PC-1005, the only product in development designed to prevent HIV, human papilloma virus (HPV) and herpes simplex virus (HSV) simultaneously, in both women and men.
- A non-ARV-Based Microbicide, Griffithsin, a naturally occurring, algae-derived protein that inhibits HIV and other pathogens, including HSV. Griffithsin is the most potent anti-HIV agent ever discovered. CBR researchers are developing Griffithsin as a vaginal ring, vaginal gels, and as vaginal and rectal fast-dissolving inserts (FDIs).