XXVI IUSSP International Population Conference
27 September–2 October 2009
The Population Council in the
West Asia and North Africa Region
30th Anniversary Reception
Thursday, 1 October
19:00–21:00 (7:00–9:00 pm)
Room Fès 2B
Palais des Congrès, Marrakech, Morocco
The Population Council has been active in the Middle East/West Asia and North Africa region since 1978. The Council has contributed significantly to the development of capacities, building the knowledge base, and establishing interventions that support youth and adolescents in the areas of reproductive health, poverty, gender, and youth. The Council’s activities have been carried out in countries in the region including Egypt, Sudan, Iran, West Bank, and Jordan.
Examples of Council’s work in the region include:
- The Ishraq project that seeks to enhance life opportunities for girls who are out of school in rural Upper Egypt.
- A Survey on Young People in Egypt that seeks to provide a complete profile of youth in Egypt, providing details on their health, education, employment, family formation, and civic participation.
- Poverty, Job Quality, and Labor Market Dynamics, a project to update the state of knowledge on labor markets in Egypt, Morocco, and Jordan.
- FRONTIERS Program in Egypt (1998–2008), a number of operations research studies conducted to assist policymakers in diagnosing and solving service-delivery problems and identifying cost-effective interventions.
- Arabic Language Documentation and Resource Center in Population and Reproductive Health that focuses on expanding and enhancing access to information relevant to the well-being of the world’s 260 million Arabic speakers. For more information visit our Web site: www.arabicdocs-popcouncil.org.
Posters to be presented at the reception:
- "Capacity building to enhance postpartum/postabortion use of contraception in Egypt" (PDF)
- "Education and conflict: The protective role of education in Darfur, Sudan" (PDF)
- "Egypt’s poverty targeting tool kit: An exercise requested by The Social Fund for Development" (PDF)
- "Helping Egyptian women achieve healthier birth intervals" (PDF)
- "Impact of migration on child schooling and women’s empowerment: The case of Egypt" (PDF)
- "The paradox of increasing poverty and improving labor market conditions in Egypt (1998–2006)" (PDF)
- "Poverty, job quality, and labor market dynamics in the Middle East and North Africa" (PDF)
- "Private and group tutoring in Egypt: Where is the gender inequality?" (PDF)
- "The Survey on Young People in Egypt (SYPE)" (PDF)
- "The urban poor of Khartoum State, Sudan (PDF)
West Asia and North Africa
email@example.com +1 212 339 0509
Media-friendly services include:
- Arranging interviews with Council researchers.
- Providing electronic and traditional format press kits.
- Assisting in article development.
Contacts and Resources
The Population Council welcomes Landis MacKellar as co-editor of Population and Development Review.