The Council's Pakistan country director Zeba Sathar was named as one of 14 commissioners on the Guttmacher-Lancet Commission on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights.
The Guttmacher-Lancet Commission was created "to articulate a forward-looking and evidence-based vision for sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) priorities worldwide over the next 15 years, and to encourage the adoption of policies and programs that will turn that vision into reality."
Zeba Sathar is a senior associate and directs the Population Council’s office in Islamabad, Pakistan, overseeing technical assistance and capacity building, social science research, and population and demographic dividend research that informs national policy discussions and developments.
The 14 commissioners -- leading SRHR experts from across disciplines and geographies -- include:
- Dr. Gary Barker, International Director and founder, Promundo
- Dr. Robert Blum, William H. Gates Professor and Chair, Department of Population, Family and Reproductive Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Dr. Willard (Ward) Cates, President Emeritus, FHI 360
- Anand Grover, Director, HIV/AIDS Unit, Lawyers Collective of India and Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University Law Center
- Dr. Ilona Kickbusch, Director, Global Health Program and Adjunct Professor at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva
- Dr. Laura Laski, Chief, Sexual and Reproductive Health Branch, Technical Division, UNFPA
- Ms. Mónica Roa, Vice President of Strategy and External Relations, Women’s Link Worldwide
- Dr. Zeba Sathar, Director, Population Council Pakistan
- Dr. Lale Say, Coordinator, Adolescents and at-Risk Populations Team, World Health Organization
- Dr. Awa Marie Coll Seck, Minister of Health, Republic of Senegal
- Dr. Gamal Serour, Director, International Islamic Center for Population Studies and Research (IICPSR), Al Azhar University, Cairoannouncement.
- Dr. Susheela Singh, Vice President for Research, Guttmacher Institute
- Ms. Karin Stenberg, Health Economist, World Health Organization
- Dr. Marleen Temmerman, Director, Women’s Health & Research Network in East Africa, Aga Khan University, Nairobi
“The level and range of expertise of the commissioners will ensure that the work of the Guttmacher-Lancet Commission will be of the highest caliber,” said Ann Starrs, Guttmacher president and CEO and co-chair of the Commission, said in a statement about the commissioners. “It will provide a roadmap for truly addressing essential sexual and reproductive health and rights issues that are fundamental to achieving overall developmental goals.”
Read the Guttmacher-Lancet Commission's full statement here.